Venue: Council Chamber, The Forum. View directions
Contact: Corporate and Democratic Support 01442 228209
To elect a Mayor to hold office until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
Councillor R Sutton made a speech in relation to her year as Mayor.
Councillor R Sutton asked for nominations for the election of a Mayor to hold office until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
It was moved by Councillor Elliot, seconded by Councillor Griffiths and unanimously
That Councillor Terry Douris be appointed Mayor to the Borough of Dacorum until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
Councillor Rosie Sutton vacated the chair which was taken by Councillor Terry Douris who made his declaration of acceptance of office.
The Mayor delivered a speech of acceptance.
The newly elected Mayor referred to the duties carried out by Councillor R Sutton as Mayor of the Borough of Dacorum during the previous year.
It was moved by the Mayor, seconded by Councillor Williams and unanimously agreed
That the Council tender to Councillor R Sutton their most cordial thanks for the admirable manner in which she has discharged the duties of the office of Mayor of the Borough of Dacorum during the past year and place on record their appreciation of the energy and sound judgement which distinguished her actions during that period: That the Seal of the Council be affixed to a copy of this resolution and that it be presented to her in recognition of her services as Mayor of the Borough of Dacorum.
To elect a Deputy Mayor to hold office until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
The Mayor asked for nominations for the appointment of the Deputy Mayor to hold office until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
It was moved by Councillor Barrett, seconded by Councillor Chapman and unanimously
That Councillor Riddick be appointed Deputy Mayor of the Borough of Dacorum until the appointment of a successor at the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020.
Councillor Riddick made his declaration of acceptance of office.
There are no minutes to sign.
There were no minutes available to be signed at this meeting.
Apologies for absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received on behalf of Councillors Allen and Bowden.
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of interest
No declarations of interest were made.
To receive official announcements and business brought forward by the Mayor and/or the Chief Executive.
There were no announcements made.
Report to follow
a) The Council appointed Councillor Williams as Leader of the Council until the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2023 (unless the term of office is brought to an end earlier in accordance with the Constitution).
b) The Council received from Councillor Williams the appointments of the Deputy Leader and the other Members of the Cabinet and their respective Portfolios.
Councillor Williams – Leader of the Council and Portfolio Holder for Corporate & Contracted Services
Councillor Mrs Griffiths – Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Housing
Councillor Banks - Portfolio Holder for Community and Regulatory Services
Councillor Elliot - Portfolio Holder for Finance and Resources
Councillor G Sutton - Portfolio Holder for Planning and Infrastructure
Councillor Anderson - Portfolio Holder for Environmental Services
c) Proposals for the Cabinet, Chairs and Vice-Chairs and Members to serve on the Standing Committees until the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2020 were circulated as set out in Annex A to these minutes and agreed.
d) Nominations to the pool of Members who are trained, or who are to be trained, to serve on the Appeals Committee as and when required were received and agreed.
e) The Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Standing Committees (except the Standards Committee) were appointed.
f) The Chairman of the Standards Committee will be elected by the Committee.
It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that Council appoint the following independent person and independent members:
1. Susan Johnson as the Council’s Independent Person for a term of four years.
2. Caroline Guest and Gloria Gillespie as Independent Members of the Standards Committee for a term of four years.
That, Council unanimously approved the changes to the Member substitution rules as set out in the paragraphs below, and authorised the Monitoring Officer to make the required changes to the Constitution to give effect to these changes.
1. The rules relating to substituting members where members are unable to attend a relevant committee or sub-committee are contained in Part 4 of the Constitution and currently require Council to agree a number of members (maximum three from each political party) for each committee or sub-committee.
2. The substitute members for each committee and sub-committee are currently agreed in advance at annual council each year.
3. In order to widen the pool of members who may attend as substitutes it is considered that it will assist the Council if the limitation on the maximum of three members from each political party is removed and allow all members to attend any committee or sub-committee as substitutes if they are nominated by their leader or deputy leader.
4. The substitute member must be of the same political group as the member substituted and the only other limitation proposed on nominating a member as a substitute is that in respect of the Regulatory Committees, which are Development Management Committee, the Licensing and Health & Safety Enforcement Committee, the Licensing and Health & Safety Enforcement Sub Committee, the Licensing of Alcohol & Gambling Sub Committee, the Appeals and Reviews Committee and the Audit Committee; the nominated substitute must have received prior training.
Membership of Cabinet, Overview & Scrutiny Committees, Policy Development Panels and Standards Committee 2019-2023
MEMBERSHIP OF CABINET, OVERVIEW & SCRUTINY COMMITTEES, POLICY DEVELOPMENT PANELS AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE 2019-2023
OVERVIEW & SCRUTINY COMMITTEES
HOUSING AND COMMUNITY (13 members = 8:5)
FINANCE AND RESOURCES (13 members = 8:5)
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND ENVIRONMENT (13 members = 8:5)
HEALTH IN DACORUM COMMITTEE (9 members = 6:3:1)
AUDIT COMMITTEE (6 members = 4:2)
DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE (13 members = 7:5:1)
APPEALS AND REVIEWS COMMITTEE
APPEALS (8 members = 5:3)
LICENSING AND HEALTH AND SAFETY ENFORCEMENT COMMITTEE
(12 members = 8:4)
LICENSING AND HEALTH AND SAFETY ENFORCEMENT SUB-COMMITTEE
(6 members = 4:2:0)
LICENSING OF ALCOHOL & GAMBLING SUB-COMMITTEE (3 members 2:1:0)
This Committee consists of a Panel of 3 Members who are picked from the Members of the Licensing and Health and Safety Enforcement Committee. Only Members who have had training on the Licensing of Alcohol & Gambling Sub-Committee can sit on this Panel.
STANDARDS COMMITTEE (5 members = 3:2)
APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE (5 members = 3:2)
ELECTORAL REVIEW COMMITTEE (6 members = 4:2)
JNC (JOINT NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE) (4 members = 3:1)
MEMBER ... view the full minutes text for item 10.