Agenda and draft minutes

Housing and Community Overview and Scrutiny
Wednesday, 15th March, 2017 7.30 pm

Venue: Conference Room 2 - The Forum. View directions

Items
No. Item

94.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes from the previous meeting

Minutes:

 

The minutes of the Housing and Community OSC meeting on 4 February 2016 were agreed by members and signed by the Chair.

 

95.

Apologies for absence

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies received from Cllr England, Cllr Mahmood and Cllr W Wyatt-Lowe.

 

96.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest

 

A member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a personal interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered -

 

(i)            must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest becomes apparent

 

and, if the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest, or a personal interest which is also prejudicial

 

(ii)           may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter (and must withdraw to the public seating area) unless they have been granted a dispensation.

 

A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Members’ Register of Interests, or is not the subject of a pending notification, must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.

 

Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal and prejudicial interests are defined in Part 2 of the Code of Conduct For Members

 

[If a member is in any doubt as to whether they have an interest which should be declared they should seek the advice of the Monitoring Officer before the start of the meeting]

 

Minutes:

There was no declaration of interest.

 

97.

Public Participation

An opportunity for members of the public to make statements or ask questions in accordance with the rules as to public participation

Minutes:

There was no public participation.

 

98.

Consideration of any matter referred to the committee in relation to call-in

Minutes:

None.

99.

Q3 Budget Monitoring Financial Report pdf icon PDF 104 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

R Baker presented the report for the committee to note the forecast outturn position.

 

R Baker was happy to take questions.

 

Cllr Imarni refereed to 4.5 under achievement on income and asked the risks of mitigation and if there is a forecast going forward.

 

E Brooks said that the bulk is re charge income collection. Whereas they never use to recharge tenants Andy Vincent put a growth item together and went down the recharge route. It took longer to recruit the person than anticipated and then the programme had to be designed. This year we won’t achieve what we want, we need to recover the cost of the officer. This is being monitored on a quarterly basis.

 

Cllr Imarni said that it looks visible, is it about changing the culture.

 

E Brooks said yes that’s correct, it needs to be embedded to ensure that tenants are fully aware.

 

Cllr Adeleke referred to 4.5 repairs and maintenance, 2nd paragraph over budget. Is it due to material costs or Osbornes or even the tenants using and abusing.

 

E Brooks said that its repairs from when the tenants pick up the phone. Osbornes are not more expensive than any previous contractor. However the budget was set a little low, but we are in a better position now.  We are too quick to say yes to repairs, it’s about managing tenancies better.

 

Cllr Adeleke asked if it was issues that re-accrue. We need to find a way to get the message across to tenants.

 

Cllr Timmis asked if it was due to re offenders could you ask them to contribute to the costs of repairs this way re offenders will take responsibility if they know they are liable for a cost.

 

Cllr Imarni asked if the officer could manage tenants.

 

E Brooks said no, they have 10 officers already that deal with managing tenants. We are looking at an incentive/reward scheme to encourage tenants to take more response.

We need a joint approach with the MP and Councillors on this.

 

Cllr M Griffith arrived at 19:50

 

Cllr Silwal referred to 3.1, over budget and asked if it was on top off.

 

R Baker said, out of 5%, 3.6 over budget. Some has been met.

 

Cllr Imarni asked for a better understanding of what 5.3 meant.

 

E Brooks said that 1.8.5 is an underspend in planned works; we are slightly behind in programme.

 

Cllr Bassadone referred to paragraph 3, have the 2 properties in Apsley been let yet.

 

E Brooks said that they have been handed to an estate agent. The properties are advertised and we have had an interest. An update will be given to the committee as soon as he has further information.

 

 

Action: None

Outcome: The report was noted.

 

100.

Q3 Housing Report pdf icon PDF 118 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

E Brooks presented the report highlighting the performance indicators for the next year. If there is any information that you currently don’t see on the report feel free to ask.

 

Cllr Bassadone referred to page 24, red 12.

 

E Brooks stated that this is what it would be if we didn’t do anything. E Brooks explained how it worked and said we are going in the right direction.

 

Cllr Imarni asked how these are marked.

 

E Brooks said it’s an element of judgement; it’s reviewed on a quarterly basis with Group Managers. At the end of the year they are then re looked at. The rating is based on a group discussing, 1 is low and 12 is the highest. 1-4 is green, 5-8 yellow and 9-12 is red.

 

Cllr Harden informed the committee that Linda Dargue is responsible she complies this so if members would like specific information it would be worth contacting her.

 

Cllr Adeleke referred too page 18 HRA capital programme Oct-Dec figures, what do we judge this on, are they higher or lower.

 

E Brooks said it’s very similar, they are stand-alone figures its best to look at the end of year figures.

 

Action:  None

Outcome: Report was noted.

 

101.

Q3 Resident Report pdf icon PDF 110 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

J Still gave an update to the committee which included and update on the increase of crime and disorder, it’s risen across the County but we are still stable. We remain 10th for vehicle crime so mobile CCTV has been deployed. ASB is the same and rough sleeping in Hemel Town Centre has led to an injunction for intimidation to people including threats.

Verge hardening is still continuing and a joint project for M-ask at the Old Town Hall has been running for 12 weeks and is the most inspirational programme which has been a good quarter.

 

Cllr Timmis said there has been a massive rise in crime, is this due to reporting.

 

J Still said no they can be compared to last year, they have risen and there is a trend across the County.

 

J Still to provide a breakdown to see where the rise is accordingly.

 

Cllr Imarni asked if it was cyber-crime, and what percentage.

 

J Still said that the fraud types do include that and a lot of it is to do with young people bullying and malicious crime, it’s approximately 300 in the two thousand.

J Still to get a better breakdown

 

Cllr Hearn asked if it was possible for the ASB team to come along to have a chat with the committee.

 

Cllr Harden said this could be either a verbal update, as a report or a chat, members to decide and ask the Chair to confirm.

 

Cllr Harden also asked the committee to have a look at the crime in comparison to where we are at in the County. If we sit in the same spot then this shouldn’t be a worry. It will support the committee in scrutinising it.

 

Cllr Adeleke referred to crime report, how does this information differ from Parish Council meetings.

 

J Still stated that the information comes from the Police on a monthly basis.

 

Action:  J Still to provide a better breakdown on cyber-crime.

Outcome: Report was noted.

 

102.

Annual Review of the Housing Revenue Account Business Plan pdf icon PDF 112 KB

Additional documents:

103.

Youth Connexions (info only from Jan) pdf icon PDF 66 KB

104.

Water Rates